Vegan Minestrone Soup (Gluten-Free) is easy to make in under an hour. It's a hearty soup full of fresh vegetables, beans, and pasta.
When the weather is cool, a big bowl of soup is one of my favorite meals.
Soups are easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd since it's simple to double or triple most recipes.
I also like to freeze individual portions in mason jars so I always have soup when I need it, especially if I'm feeling under the weather.
And my collection of soup recipes wouldn't be complete without this delicious Vegan Minestrone Soup!
Vegan Minestrone Soup is loaded with fresh vegetables.
While you may be used to minestrone made with canned tomatoes, this one uses fresh Roma tomatoes added at the very end of cooking.
I was inspired by a soup I enjoyed at a small Italian restaurant years ago that unfortunately no longer exists.
I really enjoyed that they used a clear broth and that I could really taste all the flavors of the fresh vegetables.
And to be honest, sometimes tomato-based dishes are a little too acidic for me and cause some indigestion.
Use your favorite ingredients to make this Vegan Minestrone Soup.
One thing I've noticed about recipes for minestrone soup is you never find two recipes that are exactly the same.
It's a really versatile soup, and you can use whatever ingredients you have on hand each time you make it.
In fact, according to the History of Minestrone by Victoria Hansen, minestrone means "a mix of all things."
This Vegan Minestrone Soup is no exception.
Feel free to use your favorite ingredients for different variations.
For example, you could add zucchini or cabbage.
Or leave out the green beans.
Or you could use red kidney beans instead of cannellini beans.
And maybe you prefer penne pasta to macaroni noodles.
There are no rules when it comes to minestrone soup!
Make it a meal
Enjoy a bowl of Vegan Minestrone Soup for a complete meal or pair it with other dishes.
I often eat a big bowl of Vegan Minestrone Soup as a main meal, but it's also great as a soup and salad or soup and sandwich combination.
I especially like it with a Vegan Cream Cheese Sandwich.
And it goes well with an Italian Chopped Salad.
Or serve it as a starter with Mini Polenta Pizza.
Now let's make Vegan Minestrone Soup!
Vegan Minestrone Soup (Gluten-Free)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, (use water if making oil-free)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, (15 ounces or 1 ½ cups) rinsed and drained (white kidney beans)
- 1 cup macaroni, (gluten-free) or any short pasta
- 4 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots and saute until slightly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the basil, oregano, green beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cannellini beans and macaroni. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until pasta is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes and spinach. Remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.