If you’re a fan of P.F. Chang’s lettuce wraps, you have to try Oh Mommy Umami Vegan Lettuce Wraps from Fuss-Free Vegan by Sam Turnbull! Made with red lentils and walnuts instead of chicken or tofu, they are a delicious appetizer or meal.
You may be familiar with Sam Turnbull from her popular blog It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken.
Her signature style makes cooking vegan food easy and fun. She has a recipe for just about every kind of food you can imagine, from breakfasts to dessert.
And now she’s taking everyone’s favorites to another level with her new cookbook Fuss-Free Vegan: 101 Everyday Comfort Food Favorites, Veganized.
Vegan Lettuce Wraps is just one of the recipes from Fuss-Free Vegan you’re going to want to try.
The recipes are divided into the following categories:
- Morning Munchies
- Get the Party Started
- Soups & Salads
- Burgers & Sandwiches
- Feast Your Eyes (& Belly)
- Sweet Tooth
- Vegan Staples
I’m personally looking forward to trying these recipes:
- Sensational Smoky Tofu & Avocado Benedict
- Supreme Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Edamame & Mandarin Orange Monster Salad
- Creamy Coconut Mushrooms on Toast
- Rainbow Peanut Pineapple Kabobs
- Lasagna Fit for a King (Or a Queen)
- Nacho Cheese Love
- Feta Fantastic
- and the list goes on and on!
But the first recipe I had to try from Fuss-Free Vegan is the Oh Mommy Umami Vegan Lettuce Wraps!
Vegan Lettuce Wraps were the perfect addition!
The flavor is similar to the ones at P.F. Chang’s, but the filling is made with red lentils and walnuts.
And once you prep your ingredients, they only take 10 minutes to cook!
Now let’s make Vegan Lettuce Wraps from Fuss-Free Vegan! (And don’t forget to check out Sam Turbull’s fabulous new book!)
Oh Mommy Umami Lettuce Wraps
Excerpted from Fuss Free Vegan: 101 Everyday Comfort Food Favorites, Veganized. Copyright © 2017 Samantha Turnbull. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
I recently became addicted to lettuce wraps. This is serious, guys. I started shoving almost everything I could into lettuce leaves. I was going through an entire head of lettuce a day. Ok, ok, I know that’s so super-vegan-sounding, but sometimes eating like a rabbit is actually a really tasty experience. This is my favorite lettuce filler combo: Asian-inspired seasoning with added texture from the walnuts, all wrapped in crunchy fresh lettuce. This rabbit cooks a mighty fine meal.
FOR THE SAUCE
FOR THE LENTILS
- 1 head butter lettuce (or iceberg lettuce) leaves separated but kept whole
- 1 medium carrot cut into match-sticks or grated
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- For the sauce, in a small bowl, mix the ingredients together and set aside.
- For the lentils, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion softens and begins to brown.
- Stir in the lentils and then the vegetable broth. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until all the broth is absorbed and the lentils are cooked. Stir in the walnuts and about half of the sauce mixture, or to taste.
To serve, take a leaf of lettuce, fill it with the lentil-walnut mixture, top with carrot, green onions, and sesame seeds, and spoon as much sauce as desired over it all. Fold it like a taco and munch away!
I used Sriracha hot sauce.
Also, I omitted the oil when making the lentil mixture and sauteed the onion, garlic, and ginger in water.
If you make Oh Mommy Umami Lettuce Wraps, or any of the other recipes on the website, I would love to see your creations!
Use the hashtag #veggiessavetheday on Instagram and tag Veggies Save The Day so I don’t miss seeing what’s cooking in your kitchen. In addition, you can post your photos on the Facebook page Veggies Save The Day.