Tater tots lovers, this one’s for you! You won’t believe how delicious those tater tots are in this Tofu Scramble Casserole!
I love making tofu scramble and hash browns on the weekends. I’ve also been known to enjoy this combination for dinner. This recipe combines both elements by layering frozen tater tots and tofu scramble in a casserole. If you have leftovers, you can heat individual servings in the microwave the next day.
I recently served this casserole to some of my friends for brunch, and it was a big hit. You can use whatever vegetables you like. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms or spinach, leave them out, or try using other vegetables instead.
Kala Namak salt, also known as Indian black salt, is a pinkish-gray salt with a natural egg-y taste. I find a little goes a long way. It’s optional in this recipe.
Tofu Scramble Casserole with Tater Tots
- Olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup white or brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped, or use baby spinach
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and squeezed to remove excess liquid (I used Trader Joe’s organic sprouted tofu)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (I used Bragg)
- A few pinches of Kala Namak (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup non-dairy Cheddar-style (or your favorite flavor) shreds (I used Follow Your Heart), plus extra for topping (optional)
- Frozen tater tots, about 35 (I used Trader Joe’s)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper in a little olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms and spinach. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach is wilted.
- Crumble the tofu over the vegetables and add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, Kala Namak (if using), and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of non-dairy shreds.
- Arrange the tater tots in a casserole dish. Spread the tofu mixture over the tater tots in an even layer. Top with an extra sprinkle of shreds, if desired.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Enjoy as is or serve with ketchup or hot sauce.
Follow Veggies Save The Day on Instagram and show me which recipes you’re making from the blog! Use the hashtag #veggiessavetheday and tag me so I don’t miss seeing what’s cooking in your kitchen.
Please click through the Amazon banner ad or any Amazon links in my posts for all your Amazon purchases. When you place an order, it won’t cost you anything extra, and I will earn a small commission which helps me afford the groceries to develop my recipes and pay for the maintenance of this site. Thank you in advance for your consideration and support!