Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tostadas are easy to make at home in under 30 minutes. This delicious high-protein meal is vegan and gluten-free.
I used to love going out to breakfast on the weekends.
But it’s not easy to find restaurants that serve vegan options in the morning.
And sometimes it feels like a treat to make a filling breakfast or brunch at home.
Plus it might not take as long as you imagine.
For example, Banana Yogurt Pancakes come together really quickly.
And a simple tofu scramble is easy to make in less than half an hour.
I decided to build on the latter to make Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tostadas, and I think you’re going to enjoy them as much as I do!
Tofu is a great replacement for eggs in traditional breakfast dishes.
Made from soy beans, tofu is an excellent source of protein and contains all the essential amino acids.
It’s also high in calcium, iron, and magnesium, not to mention other important minerals.
Since it has a mild neutral taste, it takes on the flavors of whatever you season it with.
I enjoy making Breakfast Tofu, which is wonderful in sandwiches.
And one of my favorite brunch entrees is Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole.
You can even add tofu for extra protein and texture to Breakfast Nachos.
Tofu Scramble is very easy to make.
Simply crumble a block of drained extra-firm tofu in a bowl.
Then add seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric (for the yellow color) and nutritional yeast.
In addition, if you want a more egg-like flavor, a few pinches of Kala Namak black salt will do the trick.
Contrary to the name, this Indian salt is actually pink.
And a little goes a long way.
Once you’ve seasoned the tofu, cook it in a skillet until it’s heated through.
Personally, I like my tofu scramble on the dry side and lightly browned.
Just like with scrambled eggs, it’s up to you how well done you like your tofu scramble cooked.
You only need a few ingredients to make Breakfast Tostadas.
Tostadas are kind of like toast, but with tortillas instead of bread.
So instead of eating them folded like tacos, you top the breakfast tostada with whatever ingredients you like and enjoy it open-faced.
I like to pile mine high and eat it with a fork and knife.
First I spread some refried beans on the bottom.
I take a short cut and buy canned beans.
The ones made from black beans are my favorite.
Then I add a little shredded Vegan cheese to the warm beans.
Next up is the tofu scramble.
Finally comes a generous amount of fresh salsa, avocado slices, and cilantro.
Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tostadas are a delicious complete meal.
While I do consider them a breakfast food, these tostadas are delicious any time of day.
I often serve them when we’re having “brinner,” breakfast for dinner.
And you can add any additional toppings you like.
Some options include sauteed “fajita-style” vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, onions, mushroom, and corn.
Plus a dollop of vegan sour cream is a great addition, as is hot sauce.
What will you add to your Breakfast Tostadas?
Now let’s make Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tostadas!
Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tostadas
For the Tofu Scramble:
For the Breakfast Tostadas:
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 can refried beans, (pinto or black beans) 15 ounces
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese, (optional)
- salsa, to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- fresh cilantro, (optional)
- Heat the corn tortillas individually in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cover to keep warm, or use a tortilla warmer.
- To make the Tofu Scramble, crumble the block of tofu into small pieces in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, and Kala Namak, if using.
- Fold the tofu and seasoning together in the mixing bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in the same skillet used to heat the tortillas over medium heat.
- Add the tofu mixture and saute until the tofu appears dry and is lightly browned in spots. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Cover the skillet to keep the tofu warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a small sauce pan.
- To assemble the tostadas, divide the refried beans among the corn tortillas. Add the shredded Vegan cheese (if using).
- Next add the Tofu Scramble.
- Top each tostada with salsa, avocado slices, and cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Get your FREE ebook Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes & Tips