Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad is delicious as a main dish or a side. It’s easy to make and perfect for lunches or potlucks. And this salad is healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
When it comes to potato salad, we tend to think of using red or yellow potatoes.
But sweet potatoes are another great choice.
Not only are they flavorful, they are very nutritious.
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, Vitamin A, and potassium. And they are naturally sweet.
I like to bake a batch whenever I’m already using the oven.
That way I can quickly make recipes like Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk. And they are even great cold as a snack.
I love the combination of flavors in this Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad.
If you like my Veggie Burrito Bowl with Sweet Potato Noodles, you are sure to enjoy this salad.
I first made a version of it when I went to a party. The host was serving spicy jackfruit tacos, and I knew the sweet potatoes would go well with them.
But then I decided to improve upon it by adding diced avocado. Because as we all know, avocados make everything better!
Besides serving Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad as a side dish, I also enjoy it for lunch. And if you take your lunch to work or school, this salad is a great choice since it holds up well with travel.
Making Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad is simple.
If you bake the sweet potatoes in advance, this salad comes together in minutes.
And since they are baked, you don’t need to use any oil in this recipe.
Besides the black beans and avocado, I add sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, cumin and chili powder.
But don’t worry if cilantro tastes like soap to you. You can simply leave it out!
Now let’s make Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, baked and cooled (about 2 large) See Recipe Notes
- 1 can black beans, (15 ounces) rinsed and drained (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili powder
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Remove and discard the skin from the cooked sweet potatoes. Cut the sweet potatoes into bite size chunks.
- Combine the sweet potatoes with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Chill until ready to serve.