Easy to make in 15 minutes, light and refreshing Hearts of Palm Salad features avocado, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes in a lemon dressing. It pairs well with everything from Mediterranean to Mexican-inspired dishes. Or enjoy it as a light lunch with some crusty bread.
If you enjoy Mediterranean Cucumber Salad and want to try something different, this is the salad for you. It's lightly dressed so that the fresh flavors of the vegetables really shine.
And if you've never tried hearts of palm, they are very easy to work with and taste similar to artichoke hearts. Often used to make vegan ceviche, they may become your go-to ingredient for salads.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It takes less than 15 minutes to make and goes well with just about everything.
- It only requires 6 ingredients, plus salt.
- This salad with hearts of palm is a unique twist on the classic combination of avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Hearts of palm: Available in cans and jars, they can be found at many supermarkets near the artichoke hearts and other specialty vegetables. I prefer to buy ones that are organic and sustainably sourced.
- Slice the hearts of palm into circles. It's okay if some of them are soft and fall apart.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Carefully toss to combine everything together.
Hearts of Palm Salad can be eaten on its own as a light meal or served as a starter or side. And it's wonderful to take to potlucks and picnics.
Since the flavors pair well with a variety of cuisines, it goes well with everything from tacos to grilled dishes to pasta. I also enjoy it as a light meal with some warm Bread SRSLY sourdough.
Leftover salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days, but it's best enjoyed the day it was made. It should not be frozen.
Hearts of palm are the inner portion of the stem of the cabbage palm, which is Florida's official state tree. This vegetable resembles white asparagus stalks and is delicately flavored.
Their flavor is mild and similar to artichoke hearts, white asparagus, and water chestnuts.
They are available in both cans and jars at most supermarkets near the artichoke hearts and canned beans.
More unique salad recipes
Looking for more delicious salad recipes? Try some of these easy vegan favorites:
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Hearts of Palm Salad
- 1 can hearts of palm, (14 ounces) rinsed, patted dry, and sliced into circles (don't worry if they fall apart.)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded, sliced into half moons
- 1 dry pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 3 Tablespoon lemon juice, (about one lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl. Carefully fold to combine.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for later.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Hearts of Palm is often overlooked. I love that you've made them the star of this show. I can eat them right out of the jar. Looks delicious and I can't wait to try this salad!!
Thanks Deb! This is one of our favorite summer salads.
I also added radishes to this yummy salad, and poured an avocado oil dressing on it. Love hearts of palm. I used to eat swamp cabbage all the time when my relatives would chop it out the the cabbage palm. So good and fresh! Thanks!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Sharon! Radishes are a great addition.