This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Thank you for supporting Veggies Save The Day!
Vegan and gluten-free Strawberry Cream Cheese Waffle Sandwiches are delicious and fun to eat. You can pack them to take with you in the morning or enjoy them for brunch on the weekends. Thank you to my friends at GO VEGGIE® for sponsoring this recipe!
Even though we’ve had a waffle iron for a while, I’ve rarely used it.
That is, until now.
I had been searching for the perfect vegan and gluten-free store-bought mix, and never found one.
Believe it or not, I had no idea how easy it is to make your own vegan waffle mix from scratch!
Vegan and gluten-free waffles aren’t any more difficult to make than traditional waffles.
In fact, all I did was take a classic recipe from an ad for the Cuisinart Belgium Waffle Maker we have and swap out a couple of ingredients.
I also added a little vanilla extract, because it seems like waffle recipes I’ve seen always call for it.
Anyway, instead of eggs, I used some ground flax seeds soaked in water.
Besides working well as a binder, I like the extra nutrition that the flax seeds add.
And instead of all-purpose flour, I used gluten-free all-purpose flour.
I always choose one that says you can swap it out one-for-one for regular wheat flour.
But if you don’t need to follow a gluten-free diet, feel free to use regular all-purpose flour.
And to make these vegan waffles special, I also decided to make some strawberry cream cheese and turn them into waffle sandwiches!
Making vegan strawberry cream cheese is really when you start with GO VEGGIE® Classic Plain Cream Cheese Alternative.
When you go shopping, make sure you look for their products with the lavender “VEGAN” on the label.
I have been buying their “cream cheesy bliss” for years and love it on bagels and sandwiches.
They also make a wonderful grated Parmesan-style topping that I use for making Creamy Spinach Mushroom Pasta.
You only need three ingredients to make vegan strawberry cream cheese.
First I start with the GO VEGGIE® Classic Plain Cream Cheese Alternative.
I scoop out the contents of the container and put it in my food processor.
Then I add a little bit of pure maple syrup.
I only use one tablespoon because I don’t like it too sweet, and usually the strawberries we get are sweet enough.
But add as much as you like to achieve your desired level of sweetness.
Then the fresh strawberries go in.
I give them a rough chop for easier blending.
Finally your food processor does the rest of the work.
I just love the pink color.
And of course the strawberry cream cheese tastes amazing.
You may end up with extra when you make this recipe, so I recommend also trying it on bagels, pancakes, french toast, or as a dip with fresh fruit.
After you prepare the waffles and strawberry cream cheese, it’s time to make waffle sandwiches!
First off, you may be wondering why you would want to turn your waffles into sandwiches.
The simple answer is because it’s fun!
You can make these waffle sandwiches for your children, and I bet they will love them.
But they’re great for adults, too.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Waffle Sandwiches are delicious for breakfast or brunch.
You can wrap them up and take them with you for breakfast on the go.
They also make a nice snack.
I admit they may be a bit messy if you like to load them with lots of strawberry cream cheese, like I do.
So make sure you brings some napkins with you.
And if you don’t want to eat your waffles in sandwich form, it’s perfectly acceptable to use the cream cheese as a topping and eat your waffles with a knife and fork.
And be sure to check out all the vegan products from GO VEGGIE® with the lavender labels!
Now let’s make Strawberry Cream Cheese Waffle Sandwiches!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Waffle Sandwiches
For the Strawberry Cream Cheese:
- 8 ounces GO VEGGIE Vegan Cream Cheese Alternative (one container)
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (or more if you prefer your cream cheese sweeter)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries roughly chopped
For the waffles:
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (or regular all-purpose flour if you don't need your waffles to be gluten-free)
- 2 Tablespoons organic sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I use organic soy)
- 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the Strawberry Cream Cheese, add the vegan cream cheese alternative, maple syrup, and strawberries to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Transfer the Strawberry Cream Cheese to a small bowl and refrigerate it while you prepare the waffles.
- Turn on your waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seeds and water. Mix with a fork and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the rest of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Add the flax seed mixture. Mix everything together with a spoon to form the waffle batter, being careful not to over-mix it. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- When the waffle iron is ready, pour about 1 1/2 cups of batter in the center of the grid (or use the amount of batter recommended by the manufacturer) and close the iron.
- When the waffle is done cooking, remove it to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- After the waffles are all cooked, separate them into individual waffles. Top half the waffles with a generous portion of Strawberry Cream Cheese. Place the remaining waffles on top to form sandwiches. Serve with the remaining Strawberry Cream Cheese, if desired, or save it for another use.