Spicy Toona Rolls give you all the flavor but none of the mercury!
One of the things I hear the most from people becoming vegan or vegetarian is that they miss sushi. Obviously there are lots of vegetable options, like these 30 Veggie Sushi Recipes, but some miss the taste of fish, like that in a spicy tuna roll.
That’s where Sophie’s Kitchen comes in.
Sophie’s makes an amazing variety of plant-based, non-GMO products that taste just like fish and seafood, but without the cholesterol or mercury.
I visited their booth at Natural Products Expo West and sampled their Vegan Toona, which they had made into toona salad and served on crackers. It tasted surprisingly like the tuna salad I grew up eating.
They also make crab cakes, shrimp, scallops, fish fillets, and smoked salmon, which are all vegan.
And coming in June, you’ll be able to purchase Seafood Jambalaya and Lobster Mac & Cheese! These new products are vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free. I couldn’t believe how authentic the lobster tastes!
Interested in trying products from Sophie’s Kitchen? Enter to win a prize pack from them below!
I decided to use the Vegan Toona to make Spicy Toona Rolls.
My family went wild for these rolls. They were delighted by how much the toona tastes like fish.
You can use either the Sea Salt or Black Pepper flavor in this recipe.
(This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience.)
Here are a few things that you will want to have on hand for making Spicy Toona Rolls:
- Sushi Rolling Mat and Rice Paddle
- Just Mayo Sriracha or
- Just Mayo and
- Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- Lundberg Organic Sushi Rice
- Organic Sushi Nori
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
Spicy Toona Rolls
You won't miss the fish with these vegan Spicy Toona Rolls
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can Sophie's Kitchen Vegan Toona (Sea Salt or Black Pepper)
- 1/4 cup sriracha mayo (I used Hampton Creek Sriracha Just Mayo) or your favorite vegan mayo mixed with Sriracha, to taste
- 4 sheets nori (roasted seaweed)
- 1 avocado cut in strips (or carrots and cucumber)
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- Prepare the rice according to package directions. Transfer the cooked rice to a large glass bowl and carefully fold in the vinegar, agave, and salt. Do not over mix the rice. Allow the rice to cool at room temperature covered with a damp dish cloth or paper towel.
- Drain the toona and use a fork to put the contents in a bowl. Stir in the Sriracha mayo.
- Place the nori on a sushi mat and top with a layer of rice. Add the spicy toona mxture and vegetables and roll. Slice into 8 pieces.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Top the rolls with toasted sesame seeds and Sriracha, if desired. Enjoy!
If you've never made sushi rolls at home, watch some YouTube videos to learn the technique before you start. It's not too difficult once you try it a few times, and your rolls will still taste great even if they don't look perfect.
Are you interested in trying the vegan seafood products from Sophie’s Kitchen? Enter to win a prize pack below!
Follow Veggies Save The Day on Instagram and show me what recipes you’re making from the blog! Use the hashtag #veggiessavetheday and tag me so I don’t miss seeing what you’re making in your kitchen.
Please click through the Amazon banner ad or any Amazon links in my posts for all your Amazon purchases. When you place an order, it won’t cost you anything extra, and I will earn a small commission which helps me afford the groceries to develop my recipes and pay for the maintenance of this site. Thank you in advance for your consideration and support!