Spicy Sushi Bowl from Vegan Bowl Attack by Jackie Sobon is full of delicious flavors and textures. And it’s so much easier than making sushi rolls!
If you follow Jackie’s blog Vegan Yack Attack, you know how creative her recipes are, yet easy to make. I was really excited when I learned she was coming out with her first cookbook.
And now I have the pleasure of sharing with you one of my favorite recipes from Vegan Bowl Attack!: More than 100 One-Dish Meals Packed with Plant-Based Power, the Spicy Sushi Bowl.
But before we get to the recipe, I want to share with you some of the other recipes I’ve sampled from this amazing cookbook.
The Apple Pie Smoothie Bowl is the perfect healthy breakfast.
And I love the Scramble Burrito Bowl for brunch or dinner.
If you’re looking for a fun snack, try the Caramel Apple Slices.
You can’t go wrong with a classic like the Wedge Salad with Pepita Bacon.
Tikka Cauliflower Chunks are the perfect party appetizer.
In addition, your guests will love Walnut Chorizo Bean Dip.
I’m also a huge fan of the “Fish” Taco Bowl. It’s also featured on the book cover.
So are you hungry yet?
Finally here’s the Spicy Sushi Bowl. Doesn’t it look amazing?
Which recipe from Vegan Bowl Attack are you most excited to try?
Now grab your ingredients!
And when you make this Spicy Sushi Bowl, take a picture and share it with me!
Follow Veggies Save The Day on Instagram and show me which recipes you’re making from the blog! Use the hashtag #veggiessavetheday and tag me so I don’t miss seeing what’s cooking in your kitchen.
Spicy Sushi Bowl from Vegan Bowl Attack
For the spicy mayonnaise:
For the sushi bowl:
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 sheets nori seaweed cut into strips
- 4 ounces cucumber julienne cut
- 6 ounces daikon radish julienne-cut
- 6 ounces mango peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup avocado sliced
- 1 cup edamame steamed and removed from pods
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs (gluten-free, if necessary) toasted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- To make the spicy mayonnaise: Place all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and purée until completely smooth. Transfer the mayo to a jar or large squeeze bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. (This recipe makes more than you will need for the sushi bowls.)
- To make the sushi bowl: Place the sushi rice, water, and rice vinegar in a pot over medium-low heat, partially cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is soft, but not mushy. Fluff with a wooden spoon. Divide the nori strips among 4 bowls, crisscrossing them. Divide the cooked rice among the bowls, as well as the cucumber, daikon radish, mango, avocado, and edamame. Combine the panko bread crumbs and sesame seeds in a small bowl and then sprinkle the crunchies over each bowl. Finish each bowl with a drizzle of spicy mayo. Serve immediately.
Reprinted from Vegan Bowl Attack!: More than 100 One-Dish Meals Packed with Plant-Based Power By Jackie Sobon, published by Fair Winds Press