Vegan Bowl Attack by Jackie Sobon is my new favorite cookbook!
If you follow Jackie’s blog Vegan Yack Attack, you know how creative her recipes are, yet easy to make. I was really excited when I learned she was coming out with her first cookbook.
Today I have the pleasure of sharing with you one of my favorite recipes from Vegan Bowl Attack!: More than 100 One-Dish Meals Packed with Plant-Based Power, the Spicy Sushi Bowl. You probably know by now I’m a big fan of veggie sushi (30 Veggies Sushi Recipes, Pink Sushi Rice, Spicy Toona Rolls), and this is another recipe I have added to my sushi rotation.
Plus I am hosting a GIVEAWAY for you to win your own copy of the book!
But first, I want to share with you some of the other recipes I’ve sampled from this amazing cookbook.
Apple Pie Smoothie Bowl
Scramble Burrito Bowl
Caramel Apple Slices
Wedge Salad with Pepita Bacon
Tikka Cauliflower Chunks
Walnut Chorizo Bean Dip
“Fish” Taco Bowl
Are you hungry yet?
Finally here’s the recipe for my favorite Spicy Sushi Bowl.
Yields 4 servings
Gluten-free option • nut-free Fluffy sushi rice, topped with fresh veggies, sweet mango, creamy avocado, and a homemade spicy sesame mayo make up this easy-to prepare sushi bowl. The edamame shines like little green gems and brings the protein, while the panko crumbs give it some crunch.
- 1 package (12 ounces, or 340 g) soft silken tofu
- ¼ cup (60 ml) rice vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) sriracha hot sauce
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 cup (180 g) sushi rice
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 sheets of nori seaweed cut into strips
- 4 ounces (115 g) cucumber, julienne-cut
- 6 ounces (170 g) daikon radish, julienne-cut
- 6 ounces (170 g) mango, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (146 g) sliced avocado
- 1 cup (150 g) edamame, steamed and removed from pods
- 3 tablespoons (10 g) panko bread crumbs (gluten-free, if necessary), toasted
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) sesame seeds, toasted
- To make the spicy mayonnaise: Place all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and purée until completely smooth. Transfer the mayo to a jar or large squeeze bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. (This recipe makes more than you will need for the sushi bowls.)
- To make the sushi bowl: Place the sushi rice, water, and rice vinegar in a pot over medium-low heat, partially cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is soft, but not mushy. Fluff with a wooden spoon. Divide the nori strips among 4 bowls, crisscrossing them. Divide the cooked rice among the bowls, as well as the cucumber, daikon radish, mango, avocado, and edamame. Combine the panko bread crumbs and sesame seeds in a small bowl and then sprinkle the crunchies over each bowl. Finish each bowl with a drizzle of spicy mayo. Serve immediately.
Reprinted from Vegan Bowl Attack!: More than 100 One-Dish Meals Packed with Plant-Based Power By Jackie Sobon, published by Fair Winds Press
Which recipe from Vegan Bowl Attack are you most excited to try? Please let me know in the comments!
Follow Veggies Save The Day on Instagram and show me which recipes you’re making from the blog! Use the hashtag #veggiessavetheday and tag me so I don’t miss seeing what’s cooking in your kitchen.
Please click through the Amazon banner ad or any Amazon links in my posts for all your Amazon purchases. When you place an order, it won’t cost you anything extra, and I will earn a small commission which helps me afford the groceries to develop my recipes and pay for the maintenance of this site. Thank you in advance for your consideration and support!