This Easy Fattoush Salad Recipe substitutes the traditional bread with flavorful roasted chickpeas. Full of vegetables and herbs, it’s vegan and gluten-free.
Fattoush salad is a Lebanese bread salad with fresh herbs.
To make it gluten-free and higher in protein, I decided to replace the traditional pita bread with seasoned roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans).
What I created may not be an authentic Fattoush salad, but it sure is delicious!
Fattoush is a popular Middle Eastern salad.
I admit that I’m not an expert when it comes to Lebanese cuisine.
However, it’s easier than ever to learn about the food from countries all around the world, and I think it’s fun to experiment with different flavors.
One resource I recommend checking out is Hadia’s Lebanese Cuisine.
Prior to realizing I have a gluten-sensitivity, I really liked the Fattoush salad I tried in restaurants.
And since it’s not so easy to find gluten-free pita bread that is also vegan, I thought, why not use chickpeas instead?
Plus they add protein and fiber, making this a hearty salad.
Chickpeas are such a versatile legume, don’t you think?
I always keep my pantry stocked with both dried garbanzo beans and canned.
For a quick lunch I love making Vegan Tuna Salad.
And there’s nothing like a bowl of Vegan Wild Rice Soup for dinner.
Anyway, it seemed like chickpeas would be the perfect addition to this Easy Fattoush Salad Recipe.
You don’t need very many ingredients to make this Easy Fattoush Salad Recipe with Chickpeas.
Before we get started with the recipe, we will need just a few special ingredients.
Now I know what you’re thinking.
I hate buying ingredients that I will only use in one recipe!
But rest assured, I promise that once you try them, you will be glad you bought them.
And I know you will be using them in other recipes (maybe even in some I share with you in the future).
What do special ingredients do you need for this Easy Fattoush Salad Recipe?
Here are the two ingredients you may not have in your pantry:
Sumac is a berry ground into powder that has a mild citrus flavor. You can sprinkle it on hummus or oven fries, and it is used in many Middle-Eastern dishes.
Pomegranate molasses has a sweet-tart flavor and can be used in dressings and glazes and in baking.
And guess what?
You can use both the sumac and the pomegranate molasses in this recipe for Heirloom Tomato Salad with Pomegranate-Sumac Dressing.
Doesn’t it look delicious?
Other than the sumac and pomegranate molasses, the other ingredients are easily found at your local market, such as lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers.
It really makes chopping fresh herbs a breeze, and I feel it is definitely worth the money.
You can even cut the herbs when they are wet.
Plus cleaning the scissors is really easy.
Fattoush Salad with Chickpeas is a hearty complete meal.
I love eating it for lunch or a light and healthy dinner.
Or you can serve it as a starter with Lemon Garlic Baked Tofu and rice.
And if you want to make this Easy Fattoush Salad Recipe as part of your meal prep for the week, simply pack the roasted chickpeas, salad, and dressing in separate containers.
Then you can assemble your salad when you’re ready to eat.
So are you ready to make this Easy Fattoush Salad Recipe? Let’s do it!
Easy Fattoush Salad Recipe
For the roasted chickpeas:
For the salad:
- 1 head Romaine lettuce shredded
- 2 Persian cucumbers sliced (substitute 1/2 English cucumber if Persian unavailable)
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced into rings
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 3 large radishes sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 small bunch of parsley chopped
- 1/2 bunch mint chopped
- Pre-heat the over to 400 degrees F.
- Spread the chickpeas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with the olive oil, sumac, and salt. Toss well with your hands so that all the chickpeas are coated. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, tossing half-way through, until slightly crispy on the outside but still tender on the inside. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the chickpeas to a small bowl to cool.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small jar with a lid. Shake until well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Add the roasted chickpeas, then serve immediately.