Do you ever make sushi rolls at home? Once you try it a few times, it’s not too difficult, and it tastes good even if your rolls doesn’t look perfect. I’m certainly no expert. I decided to try something different and make pink sushi rice. Why pink? Why not! After all, we eat with our eyes first, so why not make our food fun?
The secret ingredient in making Pink Sushi Rice is something you might normally discard: beet juice. I had a package of cooked beets in my refrigerator that I purchased to use in salads. I simply moved the beets to a glass storage container and used some of the juice.
You can use this Pink Sushi Rice to make sushi rolls, rice balls, sushi bowls, or in anything you would use regular sushi rice. I used it in simple avocado rolls. I like the color combination of the pink and green. You could also use cucumbers or any of your favorite vegetables. I think children would especially enjoy eating pink sushi.
Pink Sushi Rice
- 2 cups short grain white rice (I used Lundberg Sushi Rice.)
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. agave
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. beet juice
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a large glass bowl and carefully fold in the remaining ingredients. Do not over mix the rice.
- Allow the rice to cool at room temperature covered with a damp dish cloth or paper towel.
- Use in your favorite sushi recipes.
How would you use this colorful rice? What other colors would you like to try? Let me know in the comments.