U.S. News & World Report rated the Mediterranean Diet not only #1 in Best Diets Overall category, but also #1 in the Best Plant-Based Diets category.
I’ve personally been interested in learning more about the Mediterranean diet after hearing about The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner.
And since I’ve been vegan for many years, and the Mediterranean diet is mostly plant-based, they naturally go together.
What is the Mediterranean Diet?
According to Mayo Clinic’s Mediterranean diet: A heart-healthy eating plan, the key components of the Mediterranean diet are the following:
- Eating primarily plant-based foods such as vegetables, fruit, whole grains, legumes, and nuts
- Replacing animal-derived fats with healthy fats like olive oil
- Using herbs and spices to flavor foods instead of salt
- Reducing consumption of red meat, poultry, and fish
- Enjoying meals with family and friends
- Getting plenty of exercise
Almost all of the recipes featured on Veggies Save The Day can be included in a healthy plant-based Mediterranean diet. Check out some of my favorites here:
Plant-Based Mediterranean Recipes