Matcha Overnight Oats is a delicious make-ahead breakfast featuring rolled oats, matcha green tea powder, and chia seeds. Top it with fresh berries or your favorite fruit for a refined sugar-free grab-and-go meal that will keep you satisfied all morning.
Not only does it provide a gorgeous green color, it has a subtle flavor that is enhanced with natural sweeteners like the pure maple syrup in this recipe. And including it in this vegan breakfast recipe is a great way to get a natural energy boost as you start your day.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's a flavorful breakfast you can prepare in minutes as part of your meal prep routine.
- You only need 6 ingredients to make it, and it can be customized to suit your tastes.
- It's a delicious way to incorporate matcha green tea into your diet.
Matcha powder: I recommend Golde Pure Matcha. Use my affiliate code VEGGIES5 for $5 off your first order.
Golde Pure Matcha
- Sourced from small farms in Uji, Japan
- Ceremonial grade with a less bitter, smoother taste
- Vegan, gluten free, and non-GMO
Substitutions and variations
Matcha overnight oats is easy to customize to utilize the ingredients you have on hand and to suit your tastes.
- Add an additional teaspoon of matcha for an extra boost of caffeine.
- Substitute ground flax seeds or hemp seeds in place of the chia seeds.
- Skip the pure maple syrup and blend one or two Medjool dates with the plant milk in a blender before making the overnight oats.
- Add spices such as ground cinnamon, turmeric, or ginger.
- Throw in some dried fruit such as coconut flakes or raisins.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
😋 FREE Instant Flavor Guide!
No more boring meals for you!
The only thing you'll need besides the ingredients to make matcha overnight oats is a pint-sized jar or container with a tight fitting lid. You can use a mason jar, a glass storage container, or even an empty peanut butter jar.
- Add the old fashioned rolled oats, matcha powder, chia seeds, pure maple syrup, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt to a jar.
- Pour the non-dairy milk on top.
- Close the lid tightly and shake vigorously until the oats appear combined with the liquid. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Serve the oats in a bowl or enjoy straight from the jar topped with your favorite fresh fruit like strawberries and blueberries.
Enjoy your matcha overnight oats with your favorite toppings.
I particularly love it with fresh berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries. Or try it with other fruits such as sliced mangoes, apples, or bananas.
You can also add a dollop of nut butter on top, like peanut butter or almond butter.
Containers of overnight oats can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For best results, do not freeze.
If you would like to use steel cut oats for overnight oats instead of rolled oats, you will need to increase the amount of milk by ¼ cup. In addition, the oats will need to be refrigerated for at least 24 hours, and optimally at least 48 hours. The resulting oats will be chewier than when using rolled oats.
Yes, you can substitute quick oats, also called instant oats, in place of old fashioned rolled oats. When making overnight oats with quick oats, the result will be softer and more soggy.
According to Healthline's article Drink A Cup of Matcha Tea Every Morning To Boost Energy and Focus, matcha provides sustained energy and has a positive effect on mood. And compared to coffee, matcha provides a less jittery pick-me-up.
More vegan matcha recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration & fun!
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Matcha Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats, (Also called old-fashioned oats. Choose certified gluten-free for a gluten-free option.)
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened plant milk, such as organic soy or almond
- fresh fruit such as strawberries or blueberries, for serving (optional)
- Add the oats, matcha powder, chia seeds, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt to a pint-sized jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Pour the milk over the oat mixture and close the lid.
- Shake well to combine. Refrigerate the jar for at least an hour or overnight.
- To serve, give the oat mixture a stir and top with fresh fruit, if desired. Enjoy in a bowl or eat it straight from the jar.
Want to save this recipe?
Nutritional information is an estimation only.