Mac and Cheese with Garlic Spinach is one of the amazing dairy-free recipes from This Cheese is Nuts! by Julie Piatt. It’s easy to make with simple ingredients and is vegan, gluten-free, and delicious!
When I talk to people about becoming vegan, I hear a lot about how hard it is to give up cheese.
Dairy products have an addictive property to them.
And it’s difficult to give up the flavors and textures we’ve grown up with.
Fortunately the plant-based products on the market today resemble their dairy counterparts a lot better than they used to.
Plus there are so many delicious nut or seed based cheeses we can now make at home thanks to innovative chefs like Julie Piatt and her book This Cheese Is Nuts!
(And you can enter to win a copy at the end of this post!)
You may be familiar with Julie and her husband Rich Roll and their book The Plantpower Way.
The first thing I noticed when I opened this book is how beautiful it is.
If you enjoy reading cookbooks like I do, you are really going to enjoy the design and photography.
And then there are the recipes! This Cheese Is Nuts! is everything I imagined, and more.
First Julie explains the equipment and ingredients you will need to make your own plant-based cheeses.
Then she shares recipes covering the following topics:
Cheese Spreads & Sauces
Quick “Form” Cheeses
Aged & Multistep Cheeses
Nut-Free Cheeses & Spreads
and Dairy-Free Staples
There’s really something for everyone!
Even if you’re not planning on making your own cheeses such as Cashew Camembert, Burrata, or Ahimsa Goat Cheese, I bet you’ll want to try Classic Hollandaise Sauce, Creme Brulee, and of course, Mac and Cheese with Garlic Spinach!
What I love about the recipe for Mac and Cheese with Garlic Spinach is that it’s really two versatile recipes in one.
I would happily eat the sauteed spinach made with shallots and garlic as a side dish or over rice.
And the cashew cheese sauce made with chickpea miso is so creamy and delicious, I can imagine pouring it on other foods such as baked potatoes.
But there’s something so delicious about the combination of flavors Julie created by adding the sauteed spinach to the pasta.
This recipe is really quick and easy to make.
All you do is add the sauce ingredients to your blender, pour the sauce over some cooked pasta, then top it with the sauteed spinach.
It’s the perfect weeknight meal.
Now let’s make Mac and Cheese with Garlic Spinach from This Cheese Is Nuts!
And be sure to enter the giveaway to win a copy of the book!
Mac and Cheese with Garlic Spinach
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chickpea miso paste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, (plus more as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, (plus more for a garnish)
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 package gluten-free pasta
- Place the cashews in filtered water in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Wash the spinach in a salad spinner.
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot and brown. Add the garlic and stir with a wooden spoon. Add the spinach and sauté until it is wilted and infused with the garlic and onion.
- Drain the cashews. In the pitcher of a Vitamix, place the cashews, miso, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, pepper, nutritional yeast, and 1 cup boiling hot water.
- Blend on medium speed for 2 minutes or until thickened and creamy. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat and cook the gluten-free pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse with hot water.
- Transfer the pasta to a large serving dish. Pour the cashew cheese sauce over the pasta and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Arrange the spinach in a mound on top.
- Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.