Curried Potato Salad blends the classic picnic side dish with Indian flavors. It’s easy to make with a handful of common ingredients such as curry powder and frozen peas. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
I’ve always loved potato salad.
But after becoming vegan, I rarely ate it anymore since the ones I saw at potlucks usually contained eggs and mayonnaise.
Plus I forgot how easy it is to make your own at home.
However, now when I get the craving, I grab a bag of potatoes and whip up a batch.
And I’m excited to share this Curried Potato Salad recipe with you.
It reminds me of Indian Aloo Matar, which is potato and pea curry.
Or maybe the filling of a samosa.
Whatever it reminds you of, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Curried Potato Salad is perfect for bringing to potlucks, barbecues, and picnics.
The flavors go well with a wide variety of dishes.
I enjoy eating it with black bean burgers or vegan sausages.
And don’t forget the Sparkling Watermelon Agua Fresca!
Making Curried Potato Salad is quick and easy.
First the potatoes are cooked unpeeled and whole in a pot of salted water.
Once they are tender when pierced with a fork, transfer them to an ice bath to chill them and stop the cooking.
Then when they are cool, you can easily peel off the skin with your fingers.
Or feel free to leave it on if you prefer.
Next the potatoes are chopped into bite-size pieces and combined with the other ingredients.
Into the salad bowl goes some peas, green onions, vegan mayo, and curry powder.
I use frozen peas which I simply defrost by placing them in hot water.
If you have hot curry powder, try adding a little bit at a time until you reach your desired flavor.
The one I typically buy is mild, so a tablespoon is just right for my taste.
Add some cilantro to the Curried Potato Salad, if you like.
But don’t worry if you don’t like this fresh herb.
You can simply leave it out.
And feel free to add your own additions to this recipe.
Some options that come to mind are pickles, celery, or pickled jalapeno peppers.
You could even serve some mango chutney on the side.
Looking for a more traditional vegan potato salad?
My favorite is the best vegan potato salad from Cadry’s Kitchen.
Now let’s make Curried Potato Salad!
Curried Potato Salad (Vegan)
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cold water so that the potatoes are covered by a few inches. Add salt to the water, if desired.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Allow the potatoes to cook until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl of ice water.
- Once the potatoes are cool, remove the peels using your fingers. They should come off fairly easily.
- Pat the potatoes dry with a kitchen towel. Cut them into bite-size pieces and place them in a large salad bowl.
- Add the defrosted peas, vegan mayo, green onions, and curry powder, and fold all the ingredients together.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Garnish with chopped or torn fresh cilantro leaves, if using.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad until you are ready to serve.
Get your FREE ebook Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes & Tips