This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Thank you for supporting Veggies Save The Day!
Cucumber Peanut Salad is a delicious starter with fresh herbs in a light tangy dressing. It’s easy to make and is naturally vegan and gluten-free. It goes equally well with summer foods and Asian-inspired dishes.
Cucumber salads are so refreshing in the summer.
I also love cucumbers in Greek Millet Salad.
But have you ever tried them in Asian-inspired salads?
They are really delicious!
Cucumber Peanut Salad is inspired by a dish I had a long time ago in a Thai restaurant.
I actually don’t remember where it was, but the combination of cucumbers, peanuts, spice, and lime stuck with me.
And while this version is far from authentic, it’s very flavorful.
I really enjoy the fresh cilantro and mint with the mild heat from the jalapeno pepper.
And the dressing is light so it doesn’t overpower the delicate flavor of the cucumbers.
I love this salad as a starter with other Asian-inspired recipes.
It goes great with some of these favorites:
And this salad would be equally welcome at a barbecue with veggie burgers and potato salad!
Persian or English cucumbers are my favorite varieties for using in this Cucumber Peanut Salad.
Or if you can find them, Japanese cucumbers would be perfect, too.
The skin on these types is thinner, and the seeds are smaller and less bitter.
I keep the skin on since I buy organic cucumbers.
But if you can only get conventional, be sure to peel them before slicing them.
And if you can only get standard cucumbers, I recommend slicing them lengthwise and scraping out the seeds with a teaspoon.
Now let’s make Cucumber Peanut Salad!
Cucumber Peanut Salad (Vegan)
For the salad:
- 1 pound cucumbers (preferably Persian or English), sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper thinly sliced (seeds and ribs removed, if desired)
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (I prefer lightly salted)
- cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- mint leaves roughly chopped
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients until combined, or shake in a small sealed jar.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss well to coat all the cucumbers. Serve immediately.