Easy to make in under 30 minutes, these meatless mushroom tacos topped with homemade Chimichurri sauce are a satisfying vegan meal.
Tacos are perfect for getting dinner on the table fast. And vegetable-centric versions like potato tacos, sweet potato tacos, and these mushroom tacos and not only delicious, they are simple and economical to make.
Why you'll love this recipe
- The tacos are topped with a mouth-watering sauce you can make in minutes in a food processor.
- Dinner will be ready in under 30 minutes.
- It uses budget-friendly mushroom varieties that are available in every supermarket.
These tacos only require a few ingredients plus those for the sauce:
- Corn torillas (or use your favorite type)
- Olive oil (for sauteing, or substitute water)
- Mushrooms (brown cremini "baby bella" or white button)
- Salt and pepper
- Any additional toppings you would like to add such as sliced avocado (optional)
And for the sauce, you'll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh oregano
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms to a skillet. (Tip: Use the same skillet you used to heat the tortillas.)
- Saute until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, add all of the sauce ingredients, except for the olive oil, to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse, scrapping down the sides as necessary, and stream in the oil.
- Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl.
Do not blend the sauce until it's completely smooth. You should still be able to see small pieces of herbs in the Chimichurri.
Ever wonder why the plant-based meals you see on Facebook and Instagram look so mouth-watering and inviting while yours are bland and boring?
You need the FREE Instant Flavor guide
These tacos are delicious on their own or served with your favorite sides like rice and beans. Or try some of these vegan favorites:
Leftover sauce can be covered and refrigerated for 1-2 days. Mix well since the olive oil will solidify.
Sauteed mushrooms can be covered and refrigerated for a few days as well. Reheat in a microwave-safe container or in a skillet over low heat.
Chimichurri, which originated in Argentina, usually contains parsley, oregano, garlic, chili pepper, vinegar, and olive oil. This flavorful green sauce is herby, tangy, garlicky, and spicy.
While traditionally served with meats like steak, it's also wonderful on roasted or grilled vegetables like cauliflower and potatoes. You can also drizzle it over rice and pasta or eat it with crusty bread.
Yes, you can use 2 portobello mushrooms in place of smaller brown or white mushrooms. Remove the stems and slice them into ½-inch strips. Then saute them or roast them in the oven brushed with olive oil.
More unique mushroom recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy mushrooms? Try some of these vegan favorites:
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Easy Mushroom Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce
For the tacos:
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces brown or white mushrooms , cremini (Baby Bella) or white button mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sliced avocado, for serving (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Warm each tortilla on each side. Cover the tortillas to keep warm. (See notes.)
- In the same skillet used to heat the tortillas, add the olive oil. When warm, add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Next add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Saute, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated and the mushrooms are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Chimichurri sauce by adding the parsley, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Stream the olive oil through the funnel in the top while the food processor is running. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Build the tacos by adding some of the mushrooms to each tortilla then topping with Chimichurri. Garnish with avocado slices, if desired, and enjoy.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.