Breakfast Nachos: a fun and delicious way to start your day! This complete meal is vegan, gluten free, and easy to make.
But recently I was blown away by a recipe from the new book Veganize It! by Robin Robertson.
That's right. Nachos you eat in the morning for breakfast!
But honestly I would be happy eating these any time of the day!
Robin's book is full of delicious recipes you'll want to try. Like the pizza on the cover.
Plus Clam-Free Chowder.
I think you get the idea. Any recipe you can think of, Robin shows you how to Veganize It!
One of my favorite things about this book is that you learn how to make components and sauces that stand on their own, and can also be combined to make other recipes.
For example, the Smoky Queso Sauce used in the Breakfast Nachos can also be used to make a Mexican-style mac and cheese. And once you learn how to make Hearts of Palm and Artichoke Cakes, you can also make Palm-Crab Po'Boys.
Now let's make a big plate of Breakfast Nachos!
Breakfast Nachos from Veganize It!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon tumeric
- 1 ½ cups cooked or 1 can black beans, 15-ounce, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, optional, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 recipe Smoky Queso Sauce, below, kept warm
- 1 bag restaurant-style tortilla chips, 13-ounce
For the Smoky Queso Sauce:
- 2 ounce jar chopped pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ cups plain unsweetened almond milk or water
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and scallions and cook 2 minutes longer. Add the tofu and salt, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in the nutritional yeast, cumin, and turmeric. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Stir in the beans, cover, and keep warm.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt to taste and mix well. Gently stir in the avocado.
- To assemble, spoon a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of a large plate. Place half of the chips on top of the sauce. Spoon half of the sauce on top of the chips, followed by half of the tofu and beans, and then half of the salsa. Top with the remaining chips and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately, garnished with additional cilantro, if using.
- To make the Spicy Queso Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Use as desired. (See note)
Want to make more easy and delicious dishes?
Grab your FREE Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes eBook
Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!